Sunday, June 9, 2013

DIY Mini Garden - Fresh supply of vegetables for hamsters

Bought some seeds from Horti Flora which is stocked at NTUC Fairprice with the intention of growing wheat grass for my hamsters which are really fond of vegetables.

Decided to make full use of these toy capsules which have tiny holes at the bottom as part of my basic germination kit. Have also placed trimmed pieces of filter bags at the bottom of the toy capsules which will prevent soil from falling out. I am trying to germinate the seeds (consisting of wheat grass, lemon balm and sage) by spreading them on wet cotton wool. 
Toy capsule, filter bag, cotton wool
Growing Wheat Grass 
These seeds started to sprout within a few days and I have transplanted them to organic soil. The growing rate of wheat grass is rather fast. Average growing height is around 1 cm per day. It has been 2 weeks since I first started and the hamsters are enjoying the end products.

Usually I will trim around 2 cm portion of wheat grass, soak it before 'presenting' to Fly or Nami. I would recommend hamster owners to give it a try. The whole experience is quite a breeze and quite fun to see Fly snatching the wheatgrass from my fingers and chomping down in great delight. Nami is not so fond of wheat grass though.

hamster
Wheat Grass

No comments:

Post a Comment